Once upon a time, three people came together on a chilly rainy night to enjoy a dinner by candlelight. <—That last part may not be entirely true, but it sounds nice, right?
These were not just any three people. They were a meat-eating man, a vegetarian woman, and their vegetarian son.
Whatever would they share for dinner? Surely, preparing a meal to suit the needs of these differing eating style would be time-consuming.
On the contrary, it may take a bit more thought and planning, but after that it’s easy as pie!
What’s one of the simplest ways to incorporate different styles of eating into one meal?
A Mexican Meal Fit for 3
For the meat-eating man: Crockpot Tacos
- 1 lb. Organic Ground beef (lightly browned + drained)
- 1 can Rotel
- 2 heaping spoons Black Bean n’ Corn Salsa
- Spices: Taco seasoning, Cumin, Onion, Cilantro, Crushed Red Pepper, Salt n’ Peppa
Mix the spices, salsa, and Rotel.
Pour the browned & drained meat into the crockpot. Cover with mixture and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Optional Step: While this cooks, scrub your tiles with a toothbrush. When finished, they will look exactly the same. (Dang it!!)
For the vegetarian woman and child: Black bean & Corn Tacos
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Chopped mini sweet peppers
- Corn (if canned, rinse and drain)
- Seasoning: Cumin, Taco Seasoning, Onion, Cilantro, Crushed Red Pepper, Salt n’ Peppa
Add all ingredients to a pot. Simmer over low heat until warm.
For all to share:
Fresh Fruit (Cantaloupe & Strawberries)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil EVOO
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (I used Basmati)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth Water or Vegetable Broth
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.
- Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
This rice turned out moist and delicious! I love how easy Basmati rice is to cook.
Serve Tacos on Warmed Whole Wheat Wraps.
Top with whatever floats your taco boat:
- Plain Chobani (in place of sour cream)
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Avocado
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Shredded Lettuce
- Western Dressing
- Sriracha Hot Sauce
They all lived happily ever after, with full bellies and Mexican food babies.