A short time ago, I had a Hodgson Mill Pasta Giveaway in which I announced my participation in the Summer Pastabilities Recipe Contest.
The bowties have but one ingredient (100% Durum Whole Wheat Flour).
Pasta salad is (and always has been) one of my very favorite side dishes. In the winter, I enjoy warm pasta whereas in the summer, I prefer my pasta to be nice and cold!
I have had several great pasta dishes swirling in my head for the past few weeks—but there was one that I simply could not pass up.
I love caprese salad with fresh basil, mozzarella, and thickly cut tomatoes. I also love creamy avocado and nutty whole wheat pasta. So why not combine the two for a creamy caprese dish?
That is exactly what I did! And it turned out totally delicious.
As usual, this recipe is super simple and requires only a handful of fresh ingredients. Simple, nutritious, and delicious – my three favorite adjectives when it comes to food!
Creamy Avocado Caprese Pasta Salad
Serving Size: 1 cup (recipe makes approximately 7 servings)
Prep/Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Medium sized pot
- Cutting board/knife
- Strainer (to drain pasta)
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- 3 C. (dry) Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Bow Tie Pasta
- 2 C. cherry tomatoes (halved lengthwise)
- 2 C. ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 T. lemon juice
- ½ cup store-bought or homemade basil pesto
- 4 basil leaves (finely chopped)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Once the pasta is fully cooked (be careful not to overcook) – drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, prepare (slice/chop) the mozzarella, tomatoes, avocado, and basil. Pour lemon juice atop avocado. Set ingredients aside.
- Toss the cooked and chilled pasta with the pesto until bowties are fully coated. Add the remaining ingredients and lightly toss.
Want a vegan option? Omit the mozzarella and make certain that your pesto is dairy-free!
Now here is where I need YOUR help! This is a contest, right?
The way to win? Get the most “LIKES” on Hodgson Mill’s Summer Pastabilities Pinterest Board.
If you think you would enjoy my recipe, then all you have to do is CLICK HERE and LIKE my pasta recipe! “Likes,” rather than repins or comments are what count for the contest.
Of course, repins and comments are great as well!
As always, thanks for your support and kindness!